b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] Ps 23 questions

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Steve Miller" <smille10 AT sbcglobal.net>
  • To: <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] Ps 23 questions
  • Date: Sun, 7 Mar 2010 21:26:43 -0500

1. In Ps 23:5, does “in the presence of my enemies” modify the
preceding “You ordered before me a table” or the following “You made fat with
oil my head”? Can it apply equally to both?

2. In v6b, the MT actually says, “And I will return וְשַׁבְתִּי in the
house of the Lord”, which does not make sense. Everyone, including Jewish
translations, translates it according to LXX, “And I will dwell”. This
would require adding a yod between the vav and shin . Why not translate it
as “And I will rest in the house of the Lord”? This would require no change
to the MT consonants, but would alter the MT vowels.

Thanks.

Sincerely,

-Steve Miller

Detroit

<http://www.voiceInWilderness.info> www.voiceInWilderness.info

What prayer and supplication soever be made by any man, or by all thy people
Israel, which shall know every man the plague of his own heart, and spread
forth his hands toward this house. (1 Kings 8:38)