b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] Can anyone form Y:ho- from Yahweh?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Garth Grenache <garthgrenache AT hotmail.com>
  • To: b-hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] Can anyone form Y:ho- from Yahweh?
  • Date: Tue, 2 Mar 2010 12:21:55 +1100

Dear all,

*Can Y:ho- be derived from prefixing Yahwe(h)- to another word?*

I say that it cannot be done not by regular pronunciation changes that are
found to have occurred elsewhere in Hebrew's history.

It is for this reason that I suppose most who attempt to derive Y:ho- from
Yahwe(h) do so by first cutting it short to Yahw and then prefixing it. Then
they guess that the vowel could jump a place Yahw- > Yhaw-, and the rest is
easy. I haven't found this vowel jump occurring elsewhere in Hebrew, and
don't see why people would prefix only part of the Name as is claimed by this
method.

Therefore my questions are simple:

Can anyone here get a prefixed Yahwe(h)- to end up as Y:ho- by regular
pronunciation changes that are attested elsewhere in Hebrew's history?If not,
can anyone justify the apparently arbitrary truncation of YHWH to Yahw, and
demonstrate that Yahw- would become Y:ho- by regular pronunciation changes
found in Hebrew's history?
-
Dave Donnelly and I have discussed this for a while now. I can demonstrate
that Yahwa- would become Y:ho- in the same way that 'achwatu became 'achot-.

"Yahwa" is the 5-phoneme pronunciation that I suggest is original for YHWH.

Kind regards,
Garth.

Find a great deal on your next car. Get straight to the Point.
http://clk.atdmt.com/NMN/go/157637060/direct/01/

  • [b-hebrew] Can anyone form Y:ho- from Yahweh?, Garth Grenache, 03/01/2010