b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Hebrew "PLG"

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Yigal Levin <leviny1 AT mail.biu.ac.il>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Hebrew "PLG"
  • Date: Tue, 23 Feb 2010 08:35:57 +0200

Hi Ishinan,

I'll start from the end of your post. I have no doubt of the good faith of
your reply, and despite my comments, did not intend to question the
legitimacy of your argument.
The question of "what did the Bible mean by his comment on Peleg" is
certainly on-topic. The question is not historical. It's not whether the
earth was "really" divided this way or that, since we have no way of
knowing. The question is what the author of Gen. 10 meant to convey.

You are correct that since the Middle Ages, Hebrew scholars have used Arabic
cognates to understand Hebrew terms. And the results have often proven
correct. But since the recovery of Semitic languages that are both more
closely related and closer in time to Biblical Hebrew, Arabic must take the
back seat. Phoenician and Moabite are the closest, but we have so little of
them that Ugaritic, though farther in time and space, is often more useful.
Then of course come Aramaic and then Akkadian.

Your statement that "many Biblical themes were simply adapted from Ugaritic
Sources" is incorrect. No-one really believes that the biblical authors went
digging through the ruins of Ugarit and copied the themes there. The strong
similarities between Ugaritic and biblical literature indicate a shared
"Canaanite" literary and linguistic heritage. However we must remember, that
from that shared source, the two cultures developed independently, and that
(at least according to the standard chronology) "Hebrew" as a written
language is only attested AFTER Ugarit no longer existed. Thus it is
possible that words that do go back to a common source took on different
meanings in each language. So that as useful as comparative linguistics may
be, the best indication of the meaning of a word is its use within the Bible
itself. And within the Bible, no-where can the word PLG be shown to mean
"plough". And within the literary context of Gen. 10, I just don't see the
need for it.

Yigal Levin