b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] Better concordance?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Uri Hurwitz <uhurwitz AT yahoo.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] Better concordance?
  • Date: Mon, 22 Feb 2010 20:56:26 -0800 (PST)

  On Mon, Feb 22, 2010 at 3:55 PM, Randall Buth wrote:

> I almost follow you, except that classical Arabic
has a dual graph for this, the 'ta marbutta'. The Arabs
wrote a 'h' shape just like BH, and then added> two dots
to show the 't' sound.>

     Randall, there is a good reason why the term "Ta
Marbut(.)a" is used - it literally means a 'tied Ta', as
if the the two edges of the mostly flat Ta got tied
together.
  Had it been the Ha, the term would have been
something like " Nuqt(.)atein Ha".

   Thus is also answered the quote bellow, a delightful
example of comment by someone who knows not what he
is writing about:

  >  It is hard to explain why both Hebrew and Arabic chose
to add an "h"  type letter to denote the feminine that
alternates between t and h.  Why  wouldn't Arabic choose
>something based on ta and alif? >

  As for the Tanwin in Arabic or Mimation in Akkadian, the
case endings we touched upon briefly in the past, the
question whether these forms preceeded the colloquial ones,
including BH, is indeed fascinating. By plain logic the
latter came first.
   But all this takes us too far afield.

  Ha)ud He(ashen,

  Uri

  Uri Hurwitz                             Great Neck, NY