b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] FW: "Amalek"/(MLQ vs. "Valley"/(MQ

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: K Randolph <kwrandolph AT gmail.com>
  • To: B-Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] FW: "Amalek"/(MLQ vs. "Valley"/(MQ
  • Date: Mon, 22 Feb 2010 10:32:48 -0800

Jim:

On Mon, Feb 22, 2010 at 7:38 AM, <JimStinehart AT aol.com> wrote:

> You wrote: “And thus, the area into which the invaders moved
> next, which is certainly in the Negev, is NOW called "the fieid of the
> Amalekites".”
>
> Surely you jest. The word “Amalek” or “Amalekites” is unknown in the
> secular history of the ancient world.

1) What you call “secular” is largely taken from temple walls—how more
religious can you get? Even the dating is largely taken from the tales of a
priest. So where is the secular?

2) What you refer to as “ancient history” is more accurately called
“Egyptian history”, leading to:

3) You assume that all languages call different peoples by the same names.
That is a logical fallacy. For example, according to your logic, were I to
research French language papers looking for a country called “Germany” and
not find it, therefore, by your logic, Germany doesn’t exist. Likewise the
ancient Egyptians may have known the Amalekites, but under a different name.
Whom Israel called “Amalek” could be the same people the Egyptians called
“Hyksos”.