b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Akhenaton (Was: The King's road: Bezer)

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Stephen Shead <srshead+bh AT gmail.com>
  • To: b-hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Akhenaton (Was: The King's road: Bezer)
  • Date: Wed, 17 Feb 2010 16:35:35 -0300

Jim,

Are you suggesting both the articles George cited are inaccurate reporting?
They state that DNA analysis identified BOTH of Tut's parents, including
that Akhenaten was his father and that his parents were full siblings.

I'll provide the relevant quotes. First, the National Geographic article (
http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2010/02/100216-king-tut-malaria-bones-inbred-tutankhamun/
):

"In this way, the team was able to determine that a mummy known until now as
KV55 is the "heretic king" Akhenaten—and that he was King Tut's father."

And from the NY Times article (
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/02/17/science/17tut.html?hp):

"In addition, genetic “fingerprinting” of the 11 mummies in the study
established family connections over five generations of Tut’s lineage. [...]
Now, scientists said, the tests have identified the mummies of King Tut’s
father and mother, who appear to be siblings, as well as the mummies of his
grandmother and other probable relatives."

I can't access the full text of the *Journal of the American Medical
Association* article, but unless these reports (and others I have seen)
misrepresent the study's findings, it would now seem very difficult to argue
against Akhenaten being Tut's father.

Stephen Shead
Santiago, Chile