b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] $WB, Gen 14 and Amarna 197

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: jimstinehart AT aol.com
  • To: leviny1 AT mail.biu.ac.il, b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] $WB, Gen 14 and Amarna 197
  • Date: Sun, 14 Feb 2010 21:45:24 -0500

Prof. Yigal Levin:

On a different, but related, thread, you wrote two things.

First, you wrote this: “Questions about language, geography, the text itself
are allowed.”

Then later, you wrote this: “I also have answers to most of Jim's claims,
but since one of the moderators has declared the thread closed, I'll keep my
comments to myself. :-).”

I am hoping that your comment #1 still stands: “Questions
about…geography…are allowed.”

If your comment #1 still stands, and questions about geography are permitted,
then let me repeat my question to you which I previously raised on this
particular thread, which is exclusively about geography:

“Please tell us if you have inscriptions in the secular history of the
ancient
world south of the Dead Sea or in the Negev [or in the Sinai Desert] for any
one or more of the names (1) Horites, (2) El-paran, (3) QD$, (4) En-mishpat,
(5) Amalekites, (6) Amorites,
(7) Hazezon [all of which appear at Genesis 14: 6-7].”

I would greatly appreciate learning from your expertise in the field of
Biblical geography as to my question about those 7 names of peoples and
places at Genesis 14: 6-7.

If I am not permitted to ask that question, or if you decline to answer that
question, please say so. Otherwise, I am banking on your comment #1, when
you said “Questions about…geography…are allowed.”

You are one of the world’s leading experts in this field, having at a minimum
published at least one peer-reviewed article that is directly on point, as to
QD$. We would all (not just me) learn a lot from your answer. Why do you
seem a bit reluctant to answer such a straightforward question, which falls
squarely within one of your fields of expertise? Either there are
non-Biblical inscriptions from the ancient world for one or several or all of
those 7 names that attest such names south of the Dead Sea, in the Negev, or
in the Sinai Desert, or not. Agreeing to keep the historicity of the
Patriarchal narratives completely out of it, the objective question remains
whether there are inscriptions from the secular history of the ancient world
that back up the 2,500-year-old unanimous view of all Biblical analysts (both
scholarly and non-scholarly) as to the underlying geography of the
Patriarchal narratives. The identity and geographical location of those 7
specific names is of critical importance in understanding the underlying
geography of the Patriarchal narratives, I believe you would agree.

Is there any non-Biblical evidence from the ancient world to place any one or
more of those 7 names south of the Dead Sea, in the Negev, or in the Sinai
Desert (or close to any of those very southerly locales)? Either there is,
or there isn’t. Is you is, or is you ain’t? Professor, we just want to
learn from your expertise, that’s all.

Jim Stinehart
Evanston, Illinois