b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] The final vowel of YHWH: Garth exposes his theory.

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Garth Grenache <garthgrenache AT hotmail.com>
  • To: b-hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] The final vowel of YHWH: Garth exposes his theory.
  • Date: Fri, 12 Feb 2010 09:51:06 +1100

Deal all, peace!

...and thanks to Karl and James who responded to my post.

Here I offer an answer to your questions:

James asked> Where do you get 'yahwu'? Surely you mean 'yahuw'?!?

Garth replies> I mean -yahwu. This would be the result of adding the final
nominative case marker -u to the end of a name ending with -yahwa. E.g. A
name formed from the sentence "natan- yahwa" would be Natan-yahw-u.

The final -u was present as a Nominative case marker, -a as Accusative case
marker, and -i as Genitive case marker, as late as about 1000BCE, in most
Semitic languages.

To append such a marker to a word which already had a final vowel, would
involve replacing that vowel: Natan-yahwa > Natan-yahw-u

Karl wrote> There is one slight problem, namely, that we don?t know how
Biblical Hebrew was pronounced. The vowels were not written down. Some of the
consonants apparently changed pronunciation over time as well. As a result,
there have been sometimes strongly worded disputes on this list as to
Biblical Hebrew pronunciation. Therefore, to claim that we can come to a
resolution as to the exact pronunciation of a single word (name) within the
language sounds, well, impossible.

Garth replies> The exact pronunciation of each phoneme(meaningful unit of
speech to be pronounced) may be unknown, but by comparing Semitic languages
and their morphology, the phonemes themselves can be evidenced. For example,
one might argue about how open or closed the 'a' phoneme was pronounced in a
certain culture, but few scholars would doubt that the 'a' phoneme existed,
or that it was in words such as malku, yawmu, etc.

There were only three distinct short vowel phonemes in the original Semitic
language, as can be deduced by *comparative Semitic Linguistics* -a i & u-
and this could allow each to be pronounced slightly differently in different
words and still remain distinct.

So even in Arabic today the same long â phoneme can have a quality as forward
as the 'a' in 'at', or as open as the 'a' in 'father'.

I haven't asserted how open or closed the 'a' in Yahwa is: merely that it was
an 'a': an open vowel phoneme.

Finally, please note that some of the characters I've used are showing up in
the text e-mails as ?s, but do read correctly online.

The formatting allowed at this website makes my theory a bit easier to
understand, and this presentation is more complete, for those who wish to
understand more.
http://garthg.multiply.com/journal/item/110/The_ancient_and_correct_pronunciation_of_YHWH