b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] The final vowel of YHWH: Garth exposes his theory.

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: K Randolph <kwrandolph AT gmail.com>
  • To: Garth Grenache <garthgrenache AT hotmail.com>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] The final vowel of YHWH: Garth exposes his theory.
  • Date: Wed, 10 Feb 2010 08:04:38 -0800

Garth:

On Wed, Feb 10, 2010 at 6:57 AM, Garth Grenache
<garthgrenache AT hotmail.com>wrote:

> I have been seeking the original pronunciation of YHWH for several years,…
>
> Garth Grenache.
>
> There is one slight problem, namely, that we don’t know how Biblical Hebrew
was pronounced. The vowels were not written down. Some of the consonants
apparently changed pronunciation over time as well. As a result, there have
been sometimes strongly worded disputes on this list as to Biblical Hebrew
pronunciation. Therefore, to claim that we can come to a resolution as to
the exact pronunciation of a single word (name) within the language sounds,
well, impossible.