b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] BH verbal system

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: James Christian <jc.bhebrew AT googlemail.com>
  • To: dwashbur AT nyx.net
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] BH verbal system
  • Date: Mon, 1 Feb 2010 10:03:09 +0000

Hi Dave,

so let's take a look at the 'present tense'.

(1) He knows Sally

(2) John works at the factory

This expresses both past, present and future.

(3) And so after he went into the bar he goes up to the barman and orders a
pint

These express actions in the past.

(4) And so when you come to me you can check.

This expresses something that will happen in the future

Conclusion. No fixed tense is grammaticalised and uncancellable to the
'present simple' verb form. Are we to conclude that these are homonyms as
well David? How many examples will it take to show that tense is not
uncancellable to any verb form in English you could possibly chose? Calling
them homonyms doesn't disqualify these verb forms from having cancellable
tense. It just bolsters the case.

If we were to find and demonstrate that QATAL verb forms have several
different uses and that both tense and aspect are cancellable to the verb
form what would it bring of benefit to the analysis to analyse the different
uses as homonyms? Clearly, absolutely none. We are still left with the same
fundamental problems regardless of the analysis. That is to say 'What
signals can we use to determine the contextual function and therefore how
best to translate?'.

James Christian