b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] BH verbal system

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: James Christian <jc.bhebrew AT googlemail.com>
  • To: dwashbur AT nyx.net
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] BH verbal system
  • Date: Sun, 31 Jan 2010 19:59:14 +0000

Hi David,

but as you yourself said 'the forms are identical'. We call it a subjunctive
when we have certain pragmatic clues (e.g. clause starts with 'if') and when
the forms are used with a 'past' function we call them 'past simple'. And
yet there are no different forms to analyse. Other than contextual clues
they are completely identical and so we have to analyse the form rather than
our perceptions of its uses. When analysing the form using Rolf's method we
see that neither tense nor aspect are grammaticalised in the form. In the
same way when analysing the forms in the Hebrew text Rolf sees that neither
tense nor aspect (standard definition) are grammaticalised in the verb
forms. Exactly the same as we see in English. The different usages can
cancel the standard tense and the aspect. The benefit we have in analysing
English is that we can also analyse our perceptions of different uses. This
becomes difficult in Hebrew not being able to ask Moses what his perception
of the use of each verb occurrence was. There may well have been different
uses of the verb forms just as there are in English. Discovering the
uncancellable meaning of the verb forms gives us little in determining the
best translation for each occurrence of the verb form as the pragmatic
factors are likely to dominate in questions of translation just like the
examples I gave of translating English.

I find it useful to compare with a translation task from one modern language
to another modern language because unlike translating to and from Hebrew we
can ask bilingual informants to grade our translations.

James Christian