b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] What is a syllable?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: James Christian <jc.bhebrew AT googlemail.com>
  • To: Yitzhak Sapir <yitzhaksapir AT gmail.com>
  • Cc: Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] What is a syllable?
  • Date: Sun, 24 Jan 2010 01:59:00 +0200

And after reading a reply like this I'm supposed to believe you are well
trained in phonology...

There is very little, almost none, correspondence between what is written on
the page with 'would you' and how this is actually pronounced by native
speakers in a natural context. It is to CV syllables. Not a CV and a CCV.
The 'dy' sound is represented by one phoneme in IPA (not that I'm advocating
IPA).

James Christian