b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] What is a syllable?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Bryant J. Williams III" <bjwvmw AT com-pair.net>
  • To: "James Christian" <jc.bhebrew AT googlemail.com>, "Kevin Riley" <klriley100 AT gmail.com>
  • Cc: Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] What is a syllable?
  • Date: Sat, 23 Jan 2010 13:03:13 -0800

Dear James,

In your example, "What would you like me to do?" you said,
"In reality the segmentation is 'woul' and 'dyou' to produce two CV
syllables."

[Bryant]
The problem with "would you" is that the "L" (pronounced "el" - BTW a good
Scrabble word) is silent. Thus, it would be "uu-oud" and "yi-ou" if sounded
out.

If one would go through the Dictionary, one would find that 26 letters of the
English alphabet have pronunciation symbols that, when pronounced out are real
interesting.

For example:

Aa - "1. the first letter of the English alphabet: from the Greek 'alpha', a
borrowing from the Phoenician. 2. the sound of 'A' or 'a': in English, the low
front vowel of (a) of 'hat, the low central vowel or low back vowel of (a with
umlaut) of 'father,' the mid front vowel of (long a) of bake, or the low back
vowel (o with arrow pointing up) of call...."

B. (be - long e) "...normally a voiced bilabial stop."

C. (se - long e) 1. the third letter of the English alphabet: from the Greek
"gamma", a borrowing from the Phoenician. 2. a sound of C or c: it is usually
voiceless, alveolar fricative (s) before e, i, and y, snf voiceless, velar
stop
before a, o, and u."

I think that the problem we are having is the same for the 22 letter Hebrew
alphabet: the symbols used to differentiate the various sounds heard.