b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Ancient Hebrew Inscription

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: K Randolph <kwrandolph AT gmail.com>
  • To: B-Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Ancient Hebrew Inscription
  • Date: Tue, 19 Jan 2010 13:23:53 -0800

This is very interesting. But I would like more information before accepting
this translation.

A minor detail, from looking at proto-Sinaitic and other early scripts, it
appears that most pictures posted have the text on its side, that it was
originally written top to bottom, and that proper orientation should be 90°
clockwise from the pictures I’ve seen.

Another question, how well preserved are those letters? All the photos I’ve
seen seem to show that the writing is very faded, almost invisible. Could
that have resulted in some of the letters being misinterpreted?

What antecedent letter forms is he using to justify his translation? I don’t
recognize some of them, and others don’t appear to support his translation.

Interesting, but too many questions.

Karl W. Randolph.