b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Ancient Hebrew Inscription

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: James Christian <jc.bhebrew AT googlemail.com>
  • To: Gary Hedrick <GaryH AT cjfm.org>
  • Cc: "b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Ancient Hebrew Inscription
  • Date: Sat, 9 Jan 2010 23:14:54 +0200

Hi,

I was sent (offlist) a link to Jim Davila's blog which comments on this
find. Direct from the blog I copy and paste the following quote:

"But before we get all excited, let's see Professor Galil's interpretation
published in a peer-review journal. Then let's wait a few years to give
other epigraphers time to digest it and give their interpretations. Then,
let's see what we have."

I think these words sum it up in a nutshell. It's too soon to get all
excited. I can genuinely see why a lot of people would like to have their
faith boosted by this kind of find but it's way to early to make definitive
conclusions. The most interesting claim in Galil's interpretation is a
reference to a 'king' but Jim's blog also has some comment about an earlier
transcription with no mention of any king.

I'm no expert with the font and characters in the reconstruction at
http://www.eurekalert.org/multimedia/pub/19412.php?from=151897 Can anybody
see which consonants are supposed to say MLX in the fourth line?

James Christian