b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] which is good?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Pere Porta <pporta7 AT gmail.com>
  • To: Matthew Johnston <MatthewJay AT hotmail.com>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org, James Spinti <JSpinti AT eisenbrauns.com>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] which is good?
  • Date: Tue, 5 Jan 2010 06:59:06 +0100

We find in the Hebrew Bible many Infinitives that have a (pronoun) suffix
appended to them.
For instance:
1. HYWTH in Is 48:16
2. (&WTH in Jr 3:7
3. HYWTY in Jn 4:2
4. HYWTNW in 1Sa 25:16
and so on.

The suffix can be the subject of the verb Infinitive or it can be its
object.
In the three above it is the subject.
If we want to do a rather literal translation of them to English (and use
the English infinitive "to xxx" and not the "-ing" form), should we use the
usual form of the pronoun or rather its oblique form?

Namely:

1. The fact of SHE to be or the fact of HER to be?
2. The fact of SHE to do or the fact of HER to do?
3. The fact of I to be or the fact of ME to be?
4. The fact of WE to be or the fact of US to be?

(For those who may find this question odd and out of place: I'm not an
Englishman, but a Spaniard)

Regards

Pere Porta
(Barcelona, Catalonia, Spain)

  • Re: [b-hebrew] which is good?, Pere Porta, 01/05/2010