b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] Vowel Subsitution

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: davedonnelly1 <davedonnelly1 AT juno.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] Vowel Subsitution
  • Date: Fri, 25 Dec 2009 18:27:42 -0500

One question I have for the list is: What happened to the holem? Both
Adonai
and Elohim have medial vav-holem. The common understanding of the
transliteration Jehovah is the the "o" is derived from that medial
holem. It
seems that I have seen YHWH written with the holem in the MT, but a
cursory
look did not find one. Can anyone explain this?

Thanks,
Ted Brownstein
__
Jehovah occurs 6518 times in the The Ben Chayyim Hebrew text of 1525
A.D.,
which underlies the Old Testament of the King James Bible.

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2003-7/264290/bdbandstrong290.jpg

The holem after the first heh is a defective holem that has nothing to do
with the vav.

The defective holem that follows the first heh, is followed by an
ordinary vav with a qamets underneath it

The well respected Hebrew Scholar Gesenius acknowledges [up front] that
(Y)Jehovah and Adonai do not have the precise same vowel points. If the
Masoretes had pointed YHWH with the precise same vowel points as are
found in Adonai, they would have created the hybrid name "(Y)Jahovah not
(Y)Jehovah.

Dave Donnelly
Senior Assisted Living
Put your loved ones in good hands with quality senior assisted living. Click
now!
http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL2141/c?cp=QRxF-gwpaQ5Dms0IdCG4MgAAJ1BVGyITH_OGb159rldJgo3SAAYAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAADNAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAASUQAAAAA=