b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Is the Massoretic text reliable?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: James Christian <jc.bhebrew AT googlemail.com>
  • To: K Randolph <kwrandolph AT gmail.com>
  • Cc: Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Is the Massoretic text reliable?
  • Date: Thu, 26 Nov 2009 19:03:41 +0200

Hi,

2009/11/26 K Randolph <kwrandolph AT gmail.com>

> James:
>
> On Wed, Nov 25, 2009 at 11:27 AM, James Christian <
> jc.bhebrew AT googlemail.com
> > wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > 2009/11/23 K Randolph <kwrandolph AT gmail.com>
> >
> > James:

> >> the
> >> your
> >>

> >> Even in this example, it is understandable as copyist errors.
> >>

> > I really don't see how this could be a copyist error. Can you suggest the
> > copy logic that could have led to such an error?
> >
> > James Christian
> >

> Ever tried copying a long list of numbers? It’s a lot harder than text to
> get it correct, therefore more likely to have errors if done quickly.

But usually a copy error is one of several well known types. For example, we
are copying a number and memorise a section of that number. Then we write
the section we memorised. Then we look back to what we are copying from and
start copying from the wrong place because a similar number sequence to what
we just wrote exists in more than one place in the source text. I really
can't see how we could reconstruct this sequence of events given the two
competing traditions we have.

James Christian