b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Is the Massoretic text reliable?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: James Christian <jc.bhebrew AT googlemail.com>
  • To: K Randolph <kwrandolph AT gmail.com>
  • Cc: Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Is the Massoretic text reliable?
  • Date: Mon, 23 Nov 2009 23:21:49 +0200

I would like to believe that all the differences can be ascribed to copyist
errors and attempts to correct errors but I am strongly suspicious of
doctrinal forces which influenced those 'copyist errors' and 'corrections'.
Not too long ago we had a discussion about the different traditions of the
ages of our ancestors as listed in Genesis. This discussion had bearing on
your understanding of the organisation of the documents in Genesis and we
saw that the LXX tradition and *not* the MT tradition better supported your
position because the maths of the MT tradition made a part of your position
impossible. It was also brought to the fore that the figures in the MT
tradition may have been tampered with for heretical reasons which involved
stealing the throne of David and the position of High Priest. This strongly
throws into conjecture that all these differences can be attributed to
innocent 'copyist errors' and 'corrections'.

James Christian