b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] Why "Random" in 2 Chron 18:33?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Murray Hogg <muzhogg AT netspace.net.au>
  • To: B-Hebrew List <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] Why "Random" in 2 Chron 18:33?
  • Date: Mon, 16 Nov 2009 18:10:49 +1100

Hi Folks,

A question has arisen on another list of which I am part as to the
translation of לתמו (from תמם) in 2 Chron 18:33.

Most English translations give "at random" or "at a venture" - but the idea
of randomness or chance doesn't occur in my rather limited references.

Nor am I able to get to a library for the next few days.

Could some kind soul please offer a couple of remarks as to why it is the translators
might have chosen "at random/at a venture" in this place when the lexicon
entry seems to centre upon notions of fullness or completeness?

Thanks in advance,
Murray Hogg
Melbourne, Australia