b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] BH and Modern Approaches to Case

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Peter Bekins <pbekins AT fuse.net>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] BH and Modern Approaches to Case
  • Date: Thu, 12 Nov 2009 07:28:39 -0500

Dear list,

Is anyone aware of treatments of Biblical Hebrew "case" relations from modern (ie post-Fillmore) approaches? Muraoka has a short article on verb complementation in which he notes that direct objects and prepositional phrases can alternate for some verbs with no apparent difference in meaning, but he does not interact with the discussion of case in linguistics.

His student Malessa briefly discusses case in his dissertation on verbal valence, but he only outlines his theoretical framework without any discussion of the broader issues and his bibliography only has references to general works on case.

This is a sub-topic of my dissertation so I would rather not spend alot of time on it, but if nobody has done much with it yet then I may have to.

Thanks,
Pete Bekins

  • [b-hebrew] BH and Modern Approaches to Case, Peter Bekins, 11/12/2009