b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] WHAT LANGUAGE DID ABRAHAM, FATHER OF ISHMAEL AND ISAAC, SPEAK?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Ishinan" <ishinan AT comcast.net>
  • To: "B-Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] WHAT LANGUAGE DID ABRAHAM, FATHER OF ISHMAEL AND ISAAC, SPEAK?
  • Date: Sun, 8 Nov 2009 23:45:20 -0600

SCENARIO #1 -- In Genesis, Abraham appears as a Hebrew speaker, an idea taken for granted by the compilers of Genesis with no linguistic self consciousness whatever.

PROBLEM: If Abraham spoke Hebrew and he was also father to Ishmael, the progenitor of the Arabs, then this would imply that the Arabic language is a dialect of the Hebrew language. How would we account then for this prospect, if we consider that the Arabic alphabetic inventory is much more developed (28 letters) than the Hebrew (22 letters). In Semitic languages, only the Ugarit Alphabet surpasses Arabic with 31 letters (1500 BCE). Hence, in terms of vocabulary, the Ugaritic language is older than Hebrew, and is considered closer to the Old Arabic.

SCENARIO #2 -- Sir Charles Leonard Woolley (17 April 1880 - 20 February 1960) was a British archaeologist best known for his excavations at Tell el-Mukayyar (site of ancient Ur in present-day Iraq). Ur was the burial site of what may have been many Sumerian royals. Following Woolley's digs, many have placed Abraham's birth place in the Sumerian Ur.

However, if it was true that Abraham was a native of Sumer, he would have spoken Akkadian. Note that the Akkadian dialect spoken in Abraham's time would have been Old Babylonian/Old Assyrian, with "Old Babylonian" being the same as "Sumerian." So, should we assume that Abraham's native language was a Sumerian/Old Assyrian mix?

PROBLEM: It is well known that Woolley offered interesting, if not always accurate, interpretations of the physical evidence of his findings. Despite this criticism Woolley argued strongly for the connection of his archaeological finds to the location of Ur . However, Woolley, the son of a clergyman, who had considered following in his father's footsteps at a young age, is always thought to have been often biased in his interpretations. Hence, if we agree with Woolley's conclusions, we are confronted with the dilemma of 'Ur of the chaldees'* as Abraham's birth place. This conclusion is a mistake. As many Bible critics have pointed out, 'Chaldean' was associated with Alexander the Great. Hence, time wise it does not fit. Nor does Aramaic fit, since Aramaic came later in about the 12th century BC, and was spoken in Jesus' time and afterwards. Hitherto, current scholarship has yet to prove or disprove whether Tell el-Mukayyar (the current Iraqi name for Woolley's site) is or is not the famed birthplace of Abraham.

SCENARIO #3 -- Gordon Donald Fee (b. 1934), one of the foremost experts in textual criticism of the New Testament of the Bible, posited a half century ago a different Ur located north of Haran, where possibly Amorite was spoken. Amorite is an early Northwest Semitic language, spoken by the Amorite tribes which were prominent in early Near Eastern history.

PROBLEM: The Amorite language is known exclusively from non-Akkadian proper names recorded by Akkadian scribes during periods of Amorite rule in Babylonia. Because of the paucity of further existing examples, we do not have a way to verify Gordon's claim.

SCENARIO #4 -- In Jody Gorran's paper "Ancient Hebrews and Arabia: A Literature Review," there is an interesting idea raised by David Samuel Margoliouth (b. 1858 - d. 1940) orientalist and professor of Arabic at the University of Oxford:

"According to Margoliouth (1924), inscriptions had been discovered by English, French and Austrian explorers that had him conclude that the original source of the Hebrew language came from the written languages of ancient Arabia (p. 7). Having found what he described as Hebraisms in inscriptions in south Arabia, justifies the thinking that "we have traced the particular usages to their homes" He continued by adding, "they certainly did not come from Palestine to Saba; they may have come from Saba to Palestine" (p. 8)."

For more on this subject, I strongly suggest you read Jody's paper in its entirety. You may request a copy directly from her at: jgorran11 AT gmail.com

In addition, there is a view expressed by the renown Holger Pedersen (1867-1953), a Danish linguist who made significant contributions to language science. Pedersen once wrote in his famous 1931's book "The Discovery of Language" about the "Semitic languages". According to him, "Hebrew, Aramaic and Akkadian languages had all undergone significant linguistic degeneration. Only Old Arabic, due to its relative isolation in the Arabian peninsula, remained closer to the old stratum of the "Semitic" form of the language."

Historically, Hebrews living in the Persian Empire adopted Aramaic, and quickly Hebrew fell into disuse as Aramaic became the vernacular language. By the time the Old Testament, including the Pentateuch (the first five books of the Bible), was written down (perhaps as late as 500 BC), the Hebrew language had considerably deteriorated. It's vocabulary had changed so much that there was no similarity to the original. Moreover, over their long history, Jews had different dialects depending upon where they lived. For example, the Judæo-Arabic languages comprise a collection of Arabic dialects spoken by Jews living in the Arab world, particularly in the Middle Ages. This phenomenon may be compared to cases such as Ladino
(Judeo-Spanish) and Yiddish (Judeo-German).

Having outlined the pros and cons within the various scenarios mentioned above. I reiterate my original question: In your opinion, what language did Abraham, father of Ishmael and Isaac, speak? Was it related to Arabic, to Hebrew, or to Aramaic or neither? Anyone care to give his opinion on the subject?

Ishinan Ishibashi

*Hellenistic designation for a part of Babylonia, which became an independent kingdom under the Chaldees