b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Verb YD( in absolute use

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Stephen and Rebecca Shead <srshead AT gmail.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Verb YD( in absolute use
  • Date: Sat, 7 Nov 2009 09:38:05 +1100

Pere,

I checked seven English translations (ESV, NRSV, NIV, NASB, NET, NKJV,
Holman Christian Standard Bible), and not one of them inserts a "me" after
"know"; e.g. "so that you may know and believe Me", or "so that you may
consider and believe in me". What English version inserts an extra "me"?

In Spanish versions, yes, a "me" is usually inserted - presumably because
they translate with a personal knowing (conocer) rather than a factual
knowing (saber). The only Spanish version I have in BibleWorks which doesn't
insert a me uses "saber": "para que sepáis y creáis en mí y comprendáis que
soy yo". It's a rather obscure version called the "Versión castellana del P.
Serafín de Ausejo", or something like that - I like it, because it tends to
be very different to the Reina Valera and Biblia de Las Américas, and often
makes interesting (but defensible) translation decisions.

Anyway, I agree with your translation (i.e. the English rather than Spanish
consensus) - LY modifies WT)MYNW, but I doubt it also modifies TD(W.

Stephen Shead
Centro de Estudios Pastorales
Santiago, Chile