b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Pr. 1:6; riddles

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Gerry Folbre <gfolbreiii AT gmail.com>
  • To: B-Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Pr. 1:6; riddles
  • Date: Sun, 11 Oct 2009 10:11:19 -0600

Karl:
I am not rendering Pr. 1:6 where I wrote "in". I am asking you or anyone
else who may be interested to please provide an example of a "riddle" and/or
"didactic question" that "the wise" are using *within *one or more of their
"words" and/or "expressions". The question still stands.
If you read directly above that particular use of the word "in" you will see
that I wrote the rendering correctly:
Gerry wrote: "That was the question. Pr. 1:6 concludes, 'the expressions of
the wise and
> their didactic questions'."

That it is not a "riddle" is your personal opinion, not a fact. You also
seem to be totally ignoring that Pr. 1:6 most likely pertains to the Book or
Proverbs {משׁלי). I don't see how ignoring context and Lexicographic
renderings is going to help anyone comprehend a משׁל or a מליצה.

Gerry Folbre