b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] verb conjugations, Pr. 5:5 & 6

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Gerry Folbre <gfolbreiii AT gmail.com>
  • To: B-Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] verb conjugations, Pr. 5:5 & 6
  • Date: Thu, 8 Oct 2009 15:45:07 -0600

Karl

Karl wrote: "I don’t see how you get this from the verse. The verse doesn’t
say
“unstable ways” nor “that are unknown to you”. Where is the “maintain” and
“that” (both of them)? It looks as if you have strayed well away from the
text to get this interpretation."

Pr. 5:6b reads: נעו = they be unstable מעגלתיה = her courses of action
{paraphrased: “her unstable ways”), אל = not תדע = you know {paraphrased:
“that are unknown to you).

Pr. 5:6a {in regard to “maintain”} תפלס = you make smooth/level
{figuratively, “you maintain). Note: I have left out the Pi’el/intensive.
Gerry Folbre