b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] And Elohim called light 'Day' and darkness he called night

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: James Christian <jc.bhebrew AT googlemail.com>
  • To: b-hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] And Elohim called light 'Day' and darkness he called night
  • Date: Mon, 21 Sep 2009 14:41:37 +0300

Hi all and especially Rolf,
I was thinking about this phrase from the first paragraph of Genesis: ויקרא
אלהים לאור יום ולחשך קרא לילה

I was wondering (Rolf) how you understand the sense of these verbs? It seems
clear to me that the author intended both verbs to be interpreted in the
exact same way. We have already all agreed that neither form necessarily
conveys an obligatory temporal sense but the context makes it clear that the
author is describing events in the distant past. In this way the translators
of the LXX seem to be in agreement:

καὶ ἐκάλεσεν ὁ θεὸς τὸ φῶς ἡμέραν καὶ τὸ σκότος ἐκάλεσεν νύκτα

James Christian