b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] Proto-Semitic: *zaman- was Qohelet

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Ishinan" <ishinan AT comcast.net>
  • To: "B-Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] Proto-Semitic: *zaman- was Qohelet
  • Date: Sun, 20 Sep 2009 22:37:19 -0500

I have been lurking for awhile, reading the endless exchange on the topic of 'Qohelet', when something caught my eye: A reference to "Zaman" offered as a Persian loan word. FYI the term is a full fledged Semitic word and not a loan word. I hope this rectification helps someone's argument, whatever that might be.

Proto-Semitic: *zaman-
Meaning: 'time'
Hebrew: z?man
Biblical Aramaic: z?man
Syrian Aramaic: zabna
Mandaic Aramaic: zaman, zban
Classical Arabic: zaman-, zaman-
Ge?ez (Ethiopian): zaman
Tigre: zäbän
Tigrai (Tigrin~n~a): zämän
Amharic: zämän
Gurage: zämän
Mehri: zemon, zubon
Soqotri: zem, zman

Best regards & I wish all a shanah tovah

Ishinan Ishibashi.