b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Ba'al Bel Etymology

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: George Athas <George.Athas AT moore.edu.au>
  • To: B-Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Ba'al Bel Etymology
  • Date: Wed, 16 Sep 2009 11:38:50 +1000

Bill,

Firstly, could I ask that you please sign your posts with your full name. An
indicator of where you are or which institution you might be affiliated is
also encouraged, but purely optional.

Secondly, to answer your question, no. It doesn't really seem plausible. The
term ba`al has a few nuances, including 'master', 'owner', and 'husband'. It
does not seem to derive at all from the word 'father', )ab. You have what I
think are four major questions to ask:

(1) Why has the aleph of )ab disappeared?
(2) Why has it accrued an ayin?
(3) Why has it accrued a lamed?
(4) Why is there no other seeming evidence of this morphological development?

Too many difficulties there to make the suggestion sound reasonable. It seems
highly unlikely to me.

Regards,

GEORGE ATHAS
www.moore.edu.au