b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Job and le-qabbel

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: dwashbur AT nyx.net
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Job and le-qabbel
  • Date: Mon, 07 Sep 2009 10:41:35 -0700

On 7 Sep 2009 at 8:17, Rolf Furuli wrote:

> Dear Randall,
>
> Thank you for your clear answers to my questions. In connection with
> any attempt to date texts on linguistic grounds, it is extremely
> important to keep in mind the limitations of any method. The
> material
> (texts) we have at our disposition is limited, and all the auxiliary
> hypotheses that are needed for a theoretical dating approach are
> questionable. On the one hand I do not agree with the extreme
> skepticism of the Copenhagen school (Lemche and Thompson), but on
> the
> other hand I am very skeptical to Martin Noth's theory of
> Deuteronomistic history and the Graf-Wellhausen hypothesis about
> "J,E.P. and D". Therefore, when you say that Hurwitz have found that
> P is pre-exilic, my reaction is as follows: The existence of "P" in
> contrast with J, E. and D is an auxiliary hypothesis (for the
> theoretical framework of dating), and I reject the whole scheme as
> very doubtful. So, the dating of a supposed "P" does not tell me
> much.

I have to say that I quite agree with Rolf on all three of these. The
Copenhagen view is
untenable, IMTUO, as far as I could see Noth never actually *showed* the
existence of a
Deuteronomic History, he merely said it, and JEPD needs to be put to bed once
and for all.
Thanks to Rolf for stating these things so well.

Dave Washburn

http://www.nyx.net/~dwashbur