b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] A jussive in Ps 24:5?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Kirk Lowery <klowery AT grovescenter.org>
  • To: Biblical Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] A jussive in Ps 24:5?
  • Date: Sat, 01 Aug 2009 20:18:44 -0400

On 8/1/09 5:15 PM, "Phil Sumpter" <philsumpter AT hotmail.com> wrote:

> I've been trying to figure out the syntax of the verb >yissa'< in Ps 24:5.
> All
> translations and commentaries that I am aware of see this verb as starting a
> new clause and translate it is "He will receive ... ." Andersen-Forbes,
> however, see it as the predicate of the entire of v. 4, rending: "One of
> clean
> hands ... will receive ... ." It was recently suggested to me at SBL that it
> is a jussive.

I agree with Andersen-Forbes: the main constituent is the initial noun
phrase, followed by the relative and two clauses. The 'sher governs the two
following clauses, which brings us to the end of the verse. I justify
including both clauses under the "governance" of the relative because the
two clauses are almost exactly parallel in syntactic order and constituent
type: ADV (lo') + V + PP. So v4 provides the subject of the verb in v5 and
the two verses form one complex clause.

Blessings,

Kirk
--
Kirk E. Lowery, PhD, President
The J. Alan Groves Center for Advanced Biblical Research