b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] And Samuel turned back after Saul: the meaning of 1 Samuel 15:31

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: James Read <J.Read-2 AT sms.ed.ac.uk>
  • To: Jay Frank <jif95 AT mac.com>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] And Samuel turned back after Saul: the meaning of 1 Samuel 15:31
  • Date: Tue, 28 Jul 2009 15:24:34 +0100

I have to admit I don't know who he is either. But I'm sure that most professors have a university email account that you could write to.

Karl has given you the linguistic arguments. I strongly suspect that Alter has theological reasons for his interpretation.

Have you looked at old translations to see how this rendered? Why not look at the LXX and the Vulgate and the Old Latin versions and the Peshitta? This should give you an idea of how this was understand back in the days of these translations.

James Christian

Quoting Jay Frank <jif95 AT mac.com>:

George,

You wrote: "You know, Jim, I was almost going to agree with you (shock horror), until you claimed that Alter must think that Joseph is really only 8½ years old. Shall I email him (Alter, not Joseph) and ask him whether that is his opinion? "

I, for one, am more than pleased to see talk of 6-month years set aside, but I continue to be intrigued by Alter's claim regarding the rendering of 1 Samuel 15:31. I simply do not understand his insistence, particularly given Ruth 1:15 noted by Mr. Shead. Certainly it's difficult to believe that a person with his credentials would be so adamant without reason. If you could suggest a way I might contact the professor or, if you prefer, raise the question for me, I would be most appreciative.

Jay