b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Genesis 41: 1: "Two Years of Days"

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Oun Kwon <kwonbbl AT gmail.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Genesis 41: 1: "Two Years of Days"
  • Date: Thu, 16 Jul 2009 20:32:00 -0400

On Thu, Jul 16, 2009 at 7:17 PM, Kevin Riley <klriley AT alphalink.com.au> wrote:

> The concept of 'adolescent' is not a modern concept.  The idea that it is
> part of childhood rather than adulthood probably is.  Most cultures
> recognise/d adolescence as the end of childhood and the beginning of
> adulthood, but not necessarily equivalent in all ways to full adulthood.
> There is often a stage between childhood and full adulthood where most adult
> responsibilities are taken on, but not all adult privileges are granted.  It
> is not uncommon for full adult status not to be granted until a man has
> married (and produced a son), often along with a certain grade being reached
> in tribal knowledge.  Depending on the culture, that is often somewhere
> between 16-30.  Jim's schema of child and adult is not that common.  I
> always assumed N(R referred to that stage between childhood and full
> adulthood.  The Bible stories certainly make sense when read that way.
>
>Kevin Riley

Hi Keven,

I agree with you.

By 'modern concept', however, I'm referring to the way that period of
maturation is treated in modern society as distinct from adulthood,
whereas the past generations (even in my father's in the orient) took
those marriageable age group (now belonging to 'adolescence' - even
legally unmarriageable, I think) as adult.

What I have posted has nothing to support or counter what Jim tells us.

Oun.