b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] 22-Letter Alphabet Origination

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: James Read <J.Read-2 AT sms.ed.ac.uk>
  • To: K Randolph <kwrandolph AT gmail.com>
  • Cc: B-Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] 22-Letter Alphabet Origination
  • Date: Sat, 04 Jul 2009 16:46:53 +0100

Personally, I'm not convinced by the whole matres lexionis thing. I think they were considerd to be consonants. Maybe in some dialects words were pronounced lazily and this can explain why they do not consistently appear.

James Christian

Quoting K Randolph <kwrandolph AT gmail.com>:

Joel:

Last night, just as an exercise as I took a long hike for physical
exercise, I tried speaking out loud some of the Biblical poetry I had
memorized in Hebrew, but this time pronouncing each written letter as
a consonant, including those commonly recognized as matres lexionis.
Examples include that the masculine suffix -W instead of being
pronounced as -o as we were taught, pronounce it as -owa, and the
final -H as a -he.

What I found was that except for a few, not all, internal waws and
yods, that pronouncing each letter gave a beat to the poetry not found
by treating those letters as matres lexionis. No, it didn’t come out
perfectly, for example it appears that the “not” in Psalm 1:1 was
drawn out for emphasis all three times it is used in that verse, but
in general there is a beat that I had not noticed before.

Personally I think that the Hebrews were the originators of the
alphabet and the Phoenicians the adopters, as the Hebrews had a
tradition of writing that went back to Egypt and the Exodus if not
before, whereas the Phoenicians started using the alphabet only during
the time of King David and later.

Karl W. Randolph.