b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] 22-Letter Alphabet Origination

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: joel AT exc.com
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] 22-Letter Alphabet Origination
  • Date: Fri, 03 Jul 2009 11:08:07 -0400 (EDT)

>It would seem to me, that since their phonetic inventory was wider
>than the 22 letter alphabet could fully accommodate, it would seem
>that they were the adopters of the alphabet.

The Hebrews almost certainly adopted and adapted the Phoenician
writing system, adding the matres lectionis: vocalic heh, yud, and
vav.

I think the evidence for a wider phonetic inventory is less clear than
other bits of information. We really don't know what Hebrew sounded
like 3,000 years ago.

-Joel

Joel M. Hoffman, PhD
http://www.lashon.net