b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Some questions about Genesis 22

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Randall Buth <randallbuth AT gmail.com>
  • To: Isaac Fried <if AT math.bu.edu>
  • Cc: Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Some questions about Genesis 22
  • Date: Thu, 2 Jul 2009 07:46:42 +0300

It is a vowel that fills an unaccented, open syllable.

IPA (Spanish) i, e, a, o, u
could be long or short.
The long set was named
Hiriq(yud), tsere, qamats, Holem, and shuruq.

This is the QimHi, Sefardic, and pre-Tiverian system.

[The five developed from a three vowel system,
long and short, i, a, u, plus *ay, and *aw.]

Randall Buth