b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] Some questions about Genesis 22

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Randall Buth <randallbuth AT gmail.com>
  • To: Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] Some questions about Genesis 22
  • Date: Thu, 2 Jul 2009 03:05:12 +0300

> Dear people,
>
> 1) In verse three we have the word אֶת-חֲמֹרוֹ. Why does the waw-cholem
> gets replaced with a cholem?

Spelling in the First Temple had a tendency to only use one long vowel marking
with a vav, yud, or he. When Hamor 'donkey' is alone it can take a holem-vav,
but when it has a suffix, they tended to write the suffix and then they didn't
write any more vowels with helping consonants.

> 2) In verse 5 of Genesis 22 we have the cohortatives נֵלְכָה and
> וְנָשׁוּבָה. I am not sure if וְנִשְׁתַּחֲוֶה is one, it has a segol, but it
> is surrounded by other cohortatives. Who can clarify this?

Yes, lamed-yud verbs do not mark the volitional -a ending, so in
context the verb ve-nishtaHave is volitional/cohortative

--
Randall Buth, PhD
www.biblicalulpan.org