b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Why dagesh in nun of this form

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Karyn Traphagen <karyn AT birchbarkstudio.com>
  • To: b-hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Why dagesh in nun of this form
  • Date: Fri, 26 Jun 2009 18:53:01 -0400

On Jun 26, 2009, at 3:23 PM, Randall Buth wrote:

Hebrew developed two Hif`il verbs using the root n.v.H.

Yes, but can we say how they developed? We see the A and B entries (in BDB) for n.w.H. but we want to know why one has the different pointing. Does this point (no pun intended) to a divergence from a single root or is it possibly a merger of two roots that did not extend to the hiphil? Or is the dagesh simply to distinguish between the two meanings of the root. If so, do we have another example?

In other words, how do we account for the short vowel and dagesh? All other similar verbs (hiphil, imperative, mp of middle weak verbs) have the long vowel and no dagesh.

Karyn

Karyn Traphagen
Doctoral Student
Stellenbosch University