b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] Why dagesh in nun of this form

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Karyn Traphagen <karyn AT birchbarkstudio.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] Why dagesh in nun of this form
  • Date: Fri, 26 Jun 2009 10:56:22 -0400

Dear List,

In Gen 42:33 (and six other places) we find the hiphil m pl imperative of the root nun-waw-chet (hannichu). For other middle weak verbs, the form usually has a long vowel under the preformative. However, in this form we find the preformative heh with a patah followed by a nun with a dagesh. Why the vowel reduction and dagesh? So, why hannichu?

Thank you,
Karyn Traphagen
Doctoral Student
Stellenbosch University, South Africa