b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] use of QShR in Gen 30.41,42

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: David Kolinsky <yishalom AT sbcglobal.net>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] use of QShR in Gen 30.41,42
  • Date: Sat, 20 Jun 2009 22:26:56 -0700 (PDT)

To Bruce,

Regarding your statement:
"In these verses, qashar and ataph are translated generally as "stronger" and
"weaker". Although ataph could be close to the mark, I've got my doubts
about the meaning given to qasher, because no other use of this word in the
Hebrew Scriptures appears to support it."

You should know that my opinions have never been recognized as valid on this
site but nevertheless:

As I am sure you know QShR generally means "to bind and tie" and "to bind
together and conspire."  According to my controversial opinion, it is related
to other words beginning with QSh such as QShH = "hard, stiff, firm, strong,
difficult, fierce etc;"  QShT = "bow (firm);" QShCh = "to harden" and NQSh =
"to seize (grab firmly)"

It is also related to QSR in Arabic "(be firm with >) force, compel, coerce,
subjugate, subdue."

I think the best English translation for the use in Genesis that you are
referring to is "hardy" which makes use of a similar linquistic analogy /
metaphor in which "hard / firm" means "strong."

Regards,
David Kolinsky
Monterey, CA, USA