b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Calling it quits

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Gary Hedrick" <GaryH AT cjfm.org>
  • To: <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Calling it quits
  • Date: Sun, 14 Jun 2009 23:49:28 -0500

I hear you, Bill; but I wonder if you would be kind enough to allow me to
interject a different perspective here? I think one of the wonders of
B-Hebrew is that conservatives and liberals (and those in-between) have
managed, at least up until now, to coexist on a single list. Some of us are
Jewish, others are Christian, and still others I'm not sure about. The
moderators walk a fine line, obviously; but I think they do it admirably
well. There may be shrill voices at the extremes, at times, who would like
to silence opposing viewpoints. But we work our way through those occasional
heated exchanges. A few months ago, we even had a gentleman land on this
list briefly who was obviously mentally unbalanced. He was finally banned
from the list, but only after it became obvious that the poor guy had a
problem none of us would be able to help him with. Over all, the moderators
manage, it seems to me, to avoid unnecessary censorship and keep us on the
subject of biblical Hebrew and related textual issues.

I for one would be uncomfortable with a policy that censors submissions
because they are not "in accordance with accepted scholarly principles."
There's just too much latitude there for interpretation. Accepted by whom? A
majority of scholars? Is the majority always right? Whom shall we say is the
final authority? These are sticky questions. Let's not put our moderators in
such a position. I doubt that any of them is even close to the Pope's pay
grade.

So that's my two cents' worth. Regards to all and have a great week,

Gary Hedrick
San Antonio, Texas USA