b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Hebrew as a holy language

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: James Read <J.Read-2 AT sms.ed.ac.uk>
  • To: George Athas <George.Athas AT moore.edu.au>
  • Cc: B-Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Hebrew as a holy language
  • Date: Wed, 03 Jun 2009 08:35:03 +0100

Hi George,

sorry for the late response. Been away from the old keyboard.

Basically, you seem to be raising the question of dating the language of the Torah independently of the internal evidence. The problem we have here is that we seem to be working in the opposite direction to the authors of the hebrew texts. They were working forwards. While we are working backwards. Anyway, be that as it may.

What we need here is a well established reference point to start the discussion from. I suppose we can all agree that the Babylonians conquered Judah and carried them off captive (although there may be some disagreement of the exact date). So, why don't we use that.

Just so that I can get an idea of where you are coming from could you give me an idea of what dates you give to the Torah, Joshua, Judges, Samuel and Kings with respect to your understood date of the beginning of the exile? Also if you stated one or two words on your reasons for that dating it would help me formulate a response.

Cheers

James Christian

Scotland, with registration number SC005336.

  • Re: [b-hebrew] Hebrew as a holy language, James Read, 06/03/2009