b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] ve-safah )ahat

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: dwashbur AT nyx.net
  • To: "b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] ve-safah )ahat
  • Date: Sun, 31 May 2009 15:11:43 -0700

While I agree that linguists don't generally accept Genesis, it doesn't say
that the languages
resulting from the Babel confusion were "in any measurable way similar to one
another."
The fact that people couldn't understand each other suggests just the
opposite. So even if
there was "a single parent language," there's nothing in the story to
indicate that the
resulting confusion of languages produced anything resembling said parent
language.