b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] Stress Lengthening of vowels in Pre-Exilic Hebrew

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: David Steinberg <david.l.steinberg AT rogers.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] Stress Lengthening of vowels in Pre-Exilic Hebrew
  • Date: Fri, 22 May 2009 15:44:15 -0400

Dr Sapir -
Thanks for your response.

Re stress in Canaanite languages. I agree that our only strong evidence is from Hebrew. However, the situation in spoken Arabic seems to me to be that short vowels often disappear when unstressed and long vowels often, and in Egyptian always, shorten when unstressed while stressed short vowels do not generally lengthen. In Aramaic, it would seem that short stressed short vowels do not generally lengthen. These patterns contrast with biblical Hebrew, as reflected in the Tiberian tradition where all stressed vowels are long.

I agree that short unstressed vowels seem to have remained in pre-exilic Hebrew see - http://www.houseofdavid.ca/anc_heb_tequ.htm#fin_st_vowls

I would welcome your comments on any of the points that I discuss under the heading Tequ - http://www.houseofdavid.ca/anc_heb_tequ.htm

David Steinberg

http://www.houseofdavid.ca/