b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Hebrew as a holy language

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: James Read <J.Read-2 AT sms.ed.ac.uk>
  • To: davidhamuel AT sbcglobal.net
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Hebrew as a holy language
  • Date: Thu, 21 May 2009 21:26:44 +0100

Hi David,

you might want to calm down a bit and articulate yourself a little bit better. This is the first exchange I've ever had with you and I'm really not used to this level of hostility from a person I don't know or even understand what his issues are. You evidently feel I am trying to say something.

I haven't quite figured out what that is yet but by the tone of your mails I get the picture that you are against whatever position you have convinced yourself that you believe I hold.

Take a deep breath. Calm down. And articulate.

Quoting David Hamuel <davidhamuel AT sbcglobal.net>:

To the best of my recollection I was posing questions and not answering them.

'You've completely sidestepped the issue...' — linguistics!.

What exactly have I sidestepped? I haven't even stated a position. How could I have when I don't even have one yet?

Oxford Dictionary: linguistics (n) the scientific study of language and its structure.

Yep! Thanks for that. I hope it won't ruin your day if I told you I already knew that. But thanks once more for the reminder. It's the thought that counts.

a) did the Hebrew used to write the Torah come about as a dialect that
evolved from the Egyptian that the hebrews spoke while in Egypt.....

Where's the linguistic question?

It's just above the question I'm answering. About 5 lines back if your mailer doesn't screw around too much with the original format of the message I'm sending.

Is Hebrew a direct descendant of Canaanite?

Did you read/study the classic stuff?

Dude! You wanna chill out and relax a bit. What's with all the aggression? We're all friends here. Nobody's out to get you. There is no 'they'. It's all 'us'. We're all brothers here.

Is there anything that you have learned about the primary sources from reading these books that you would like to share with us?

James Christian

William L. Moran, The Hebrew Language in Its Northwest Semitic Background -- in The Bible and the Ancient Near East, Essays in Honor of William F. Albright, NY, 1965, pp.59-84.

Frank M. Cross, The Development of the Jewish Scripts -- in The Bible and the Ancient Near East, Essays in Honor of William F. Albright, NY, 1965, pp.170-264

Joseph Naveh, Early History of the Alphabet (Hebrew title & English title)

Angel S. Badillos, A History of the Hebrew Language.

Best,

David Hamuel
Type Designer
Biblical Hebrew, Grammar & Cantillation Expert

Los Angeles, CA — USA