b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] DSS pronoun reading

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: David Kummerow <farmerjoeblo AT hotmail.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] DSS pronoun reading
  • Date: Wed, 20 May 2009 21:03:38 +1000

Naude (2002: 172) reproduces 4Q251 5.4 as:

ולחם בכורים היא חלות החמץ

Eisenman and Wise (1992), however, read הוא rather than היא. Unfortunately, I'm a long way away from any good academic library at the moment. I'm wondering if anyone might be able to verify which reading is correct? I think the text should be in v.25 of DJD.

Naudé, Jocobus A. 2002. “The Third Person Pronoun in Tripartite Verbless Clauses of Qumran Hebrew.” Pages 161-181 in Pronouns—Grammar and Representation. Edited by Horst J. Simon and Heike Wiese. Linguistik Aktuell 52. Amsterdam/Philadelphia: John Benjamins.

Eisenman, Robert and Michael Wise. 1992. The Dead Sea Scrolls Uncovered: The First Complete Translation and Interpretation of 50 Key Documents Withheld for Over 35 Years. Shaftesbury: Element.

Many thanks,
David Kummerow.