b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Tolodoth and literary structure was Where Is En-Mishpat?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: dwashbur AT nyx.net
  • To: B-Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Tolodoth and literary structure was Where Is En-Mishpat?
  • Date: Thu, 14 May 2009 21:30:25 -0700

On 15 May 2009 at 6:40, Yitzhak Sapir wrote:

> On Fri, May 15, 2009 at 1:07 AM, Dave Washburn wrote:
>
> > The approach deals with much more than just title and author.  To get the
> > full idea one
> > needs to check out P. J. Wiseman, "New Discoveries in Babylonia About
> > Genesis" (London:
> > Marshall, Morgan & Scott, 1946) where the idea was first presented in a
> > more or less full
> > form.  There's a summary of the whole approach at
> >
> > http://www.biblemysteries.com/library/genesis.htm
> >
> > The lectures Karl remembers were probably based on Wiseman's work.  I
> > read the book in
> > the early 80's and it made a lot of sense.  Your reduction of it to
> > nothing more than a
> > colophon of title and author doesn't do it any kind of justice.
>
> Thank you, Dave! This reference to Wiseman is very helpful indeed.
> It does seem
> to me to be a source (if not the source) for Karl's theory.
>
> My guess is that the book you read may have actually been "Ancient records
> and
> the structure of Genesis : a case for literary unity," which was
> edited by Donald J
> Wiseman, and published 1985.

That actually does sound like the title of the book I read way back when. I
was working in a
Christian bookstore at the time and saw it on the shelf, and since I was
allowed to borrow
any books I wanted from the store I was able to read it, but at the time with
two small
children I couldn't afford to buy it, and hence trying to find the title
again was harder than
pulling teeth ever thought of being. Thanks for the update!

> As you said, you're "not the one arguing this." So I hope Karl will
> tell us if this is
> indeed a book where we can find more about this theory. (It does seem
> so to me).
> Until then, I will limit my further responses to this thread.

I find Wiseman's approach feasible, but won't go to the wall for it. That's
why I'm not
arguing it; however, I am glad I was able to help the discussion a little by
tracking down the
writer's name.

> An extended discussion of all this author's theory is at:
> http://books.google.com/books?id=0FCG2YTWFtcC&pg=PA5 (p. 5)
>
> The discussion seems to span p. 2 - 10, and I was able to access all these
> pages
> with google books. However, p. 5 is where he starts to discuss the
> possibility that
> the toledoth is a colophon.

Something to check out. Thanks again!

Dave Washburn

Ibuprofen, Hebuprofen, Shebuprofen, Theybuprofen, wouldn't you like to be a
profen too?