b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] The hebrew letter Taw

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: TedBro AT aol.com
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org, J.Read-2 AT sms.ed.ac.uk
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] The hebrew letter Taw
  • Date: Wed, 6 May 2009 08:32:12 EDT

James:
The original pictogram meanings of the various letters of the Hebrew
alphabet is a topic that has always interested me. Some are obvious, like
aleph
= bull, gimel = camel, mem=water (mayim), ayin = eye; others less so.

In my understanding taw represents a mark. In ancient times it was written
with two-crossed likes as X. Just as in English we say 'X marks the spot',
Biblical usage also uses the word taw (Taw-Waw) to represent marking.
(Ezekiel 9:4-6)

If you or others have a listing of suspected pictograms underlying each
letter of the 22 letters of the Hebrew alphabet, I'd very much enjoy seeing
it.

Best,
Ted Brownstein

In a message dated 5/6/2009 5:12:13 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,