b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] )BYMLK vs. Abimelech vs. Abi-Molech

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: George Athas <George.Athas AT moore.edu.au>
  • To: B-Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] )BYMLK vs. Abimelech vs. Abi-Molech
  • Date: Fri, 17 Apr 2009 12:40:44 +1000

Jim, Jim, Jim. Let's try this again, shall we.

What you are doing is creating a hypothesis, and then assuming that it is
necessarily the norm that has to be disproved, and until that happens, your
hypothesis must be right. What you are failing to see is that the hypothesis
you've created is based on some logical fallacies and extremely tendentious
assumptions. The burden of proof lies not with others to prove you wrong, but
rather for you to tighten up your case with proper logic and method. I still
haven't seen this from you. Instead, you just keep trotting out the same old
improbable assumptions. And then, when people argue against you, you demand
that their evidence has to take a particular (odd) shape for you to be
convinced by it. This is just simply not realistic. It smacks of 'head in the
sand' syndrome, and actually comes across as childish and silly, rather than
mature or learned. You're not doing yourself any favours here, Jim.

It seems to me that no one will convince you out of your ideas because you're
demanding that they share your particular assumptions. Yet, practically
everyone disagrees with your assumptions, and so you will never be convinced
of anyone else's arguments, because there's no point of contact at all. As
such, you're on a lonely deserted island where Hebron = Aijalon Valley and
south is north. No one else lives in that world.

Has it ever occurred to you that if everyone is arguing against you, then
maybe, just maybe, it might be worth reconsidering your assumptions and
methods? Some self-evaluation and epistemic humility go a long way. You might
be pleasantly surprised at the results.

Let me urge you one more time: Get a blog, please! B-Hebrew is not your
personal publishing outlet. You can get one of those for free at a blog site.

Regards,

GEORGE ATHAS
Co-Moderator, B-Hebrew
(Sydney, Australia)