b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Proverbs 11:25

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: K Randolph <kwrandolph AT gmail.com>
  • To: B-Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Proverbs 11:25
  • Date: Mon, 13 Apr 2009 06:32:18 -0700

Dear Fred:

This verse is difficult, that’s why I mentioned it.

On Sat, Apr 11, 2009 at 8:48 AM, fred putnam <fred.putnam AT gmail.com> wrote:

> Dear Karl,
>
> Perhaps:
>
> The blessed soul is fattened

That is a possible reading. I took the active meaning to throw out to begin
the discussion.

> And whoever teaches even he is watered.

I have several problems with this reading.

> 1. NP$ BRKH as adjectival [qualitative] construct phrase.
> 2. TD$N as pual, with MT/BHS.

These two are possible, so no problem. The only question is the context, how
does that influence the understanding.

> 3. MRWH as hifil participle of YRH, "teach".

You assume a scribal error or else the verb is very irregular in
conjugation. The normal reading is that the verb is RWH to moisten.

> YWRA as hofal, against MT/BHS, in which this form is pointed as either
> hifil or--barely possibly--qal participle. The textual form cannot be hofal,
> which would require a long /u/ prefix vowel (I-y root).

I don’t understand this argument. The text as it has come down to us is from
the root YR) with the lengthened first vowel such as is found in the hophal.

> 4. The first line is feminine, the second masculine; since WMRWH is pointed
> as masculine, it does not refer to the NP$.

The pointing could be wrong, and the unpointed text could be feminine.

> The saying would be general - specific: the good result of being either a
> blessing (in general) or a teacher (specific type of blessing), suggesting
> that good deeds are repaid in kind.
>
> Regards,
>
> Fred

The context of the preceding and following verses is that each verse
contrasts good and bad, pleasing and displeasing. To get this verse to fit
the pattern, it could be that the WMRWH was originally WMRW(H, making the
second strophe read “and he who causes displeasure, even he is feared.”
That’s why I asked if there are any alternate readings for this verse.

Yitzhak: do you know of any online Tanakh that lists all the alternate
readings? In other words, one that includes the latest research?