b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] [B-Hebrew] ancient transliterations of names

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Kevin Riley" <klriley AT alphalink.com.au>
  • To: "B Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] [B-Hebrew] ancient transliterations of names
  • Date: Tue, 17 Mar 2009 09:12:47 +1100 (AUS Eastern Daylight Time)

To muddy the waters again, at the time the LXX was written, OMEGA may still
have had it's original open sound, and therefore was more like AW than OH. I
would wonder though whether the Hebrew of the time had the distinctions that
the Massoretes noted, or whether it was closer to some of the other pointing
systems and had only AH and OH, with no AW - in other words, a short/long 5
vowel system. If length was significant in Hebrew and Greek at this time,
whether the Hebrew long O was open or close, it would still be likely to be
represented as OMEGA in Greek, as that is the only long O vowel available.
You cannot ignore the issue of length in arriving at your conclusion.

Kevin Riley